Black-shouldered Kite

I have photographed birds of prey earlier. The photographs of barn owl and shikra are few to mention. Yesterday, I was marching across the paddy fields where the agriculture was slowly withdrawing at the onslaught of real estate promoters. The canals are still had some flow of water and presence of life was evident. Suddenly, I listened a shrill squeal and I could locate the source. A white bird was perching at an acacia tree. I was sure it was a bird of prey. Hence, I changed my course and approached the bird very carefully, to make some snaps. Later, I learned it is a juvenile Black-shouldered Kite (BSK). BSK is a diurnal bird. Mostly eats mice, lizards, crickets etc. Ashy grey above, black below with a black line above the eyes and black patches on shoulders, it is a small bird. There was a pair of kites perching at the same tree.



One can clearly see the black patches in the shoulders and the larger wings.




Comments

Srivattu said…
Super Thangamani! வாழ்த்துக்கள் !

Popular Posts